To: All Media Houses
From: The Lesbians Gays and Bisexuals of Botswana – LEGABIBO
Date: 20 September 2016
RE: DEPORTATION OF PASTOR STEVEN ANDERSON
The Lesbians, Gays and Bisexuals of Botswana (LEGABIBO) accompanied by Reverend Dumi Mmualefe on the 15th of September 2016 submitted a petition signed by 2 317 people to the Minister of Labour and Home Affairs, Hon. Edwin Batshu requesting that Pastor Steven Anderson and his associate, Garret Kirchway not be allowed into Botswana to start a church in the country.
- The Honourable Minister Batshu gave us audience and accepted the contents of the petition.
- The Minister and his delegation informed us that they were aware of Pastor Anderson’s visit to Botswana.
- Batshu said that as an American citizen, Pastor Anderson does not require a VISA to enter Botswana but because of his history, the Pastor would be put on a VISA lease to ensure that Immigration officials are aware of his presence.
- He also assured us that measures would be put in place to ensure that Anderson’s movements and his teachings do not infringe existing laws that prohibit hate, discrimination and incitement of violence.
However, a few hours after the meeting, we learned that Pastor Anderson had arrived in the country. We alerted the Ministry of this new development and collaboratively monitored the location of his church, teachings, social media and the impact his messaging had on the people he reached.
On the 19th of September we received a report from an individual who attended his church service that he had been assaulted by the Pastor, who called him “a fag, a homosexual and with a mouth full of AIDS” and was forcefully and violently dragged out of the church, an incident that the Pastor later admitted on radio.
On the 20th September 2016 from 0600hrs to 0900hrs, Caine Youngman, Reverend Mampane and the Pastor went live on radio, on Breakfast with Reg on GABZ FM, to dialogue on his visit to Botswana, his supposed mission to “win souls” and rid our country of sin. During the interview, the Pastor:
- Stated that he has diagnosed that the biggest sin in Botswana is alcoholism and that our Pastors in Botswana have softened, calling them “a bunch of sissies” and do not preach against such ills.
- Condemned versions of the bible that are not King James version calling them “junk”.
- Publicly called Caine Youngman, LEGABIBO Advocacy Officer “a paedophile, a liar, he has sex with little boys and strangers and if you have not done it yet, you will do it in future”.
- Stated that homosexual persons cannot be saved and that our government should kill all homosexual persons.
Following these utterance, Pastor Anderson was escorted by Immigration officials out of the premises and we later learned that he had been declared a prohibited immigrant by the Botswana Government.
LEGABIBO is outraged by the insults hurled at Caine Youngman and the LGBT community in Botswana, and wish we could have prevented this from happening from the outset. We are also happy that the Government of Botswana took necessary action and deported the Pastor and in the process defended its citizens. We applaud the people of Botswana who have stood with us to protect, defend and promote human rights in our country.
For more information, contact LEGABIBO on +267 316 74 25